Prof. Thierry Stephane Nouidui was born in Douala, Cameroon where he attended primary and secondary education. After getting his A-level certificate, he moved to Germany to study Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Kiel. Upon completion of his Bachelor and Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, he did a Doctorate in Engineering in the field of Building Modelling and Simulation at the University of Stuttgart and the Fraunhofer-Institute for Building Physics. He then worked at Fraunhofer-Institute and few years later moved to the United States to work as a Scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. After spending more than 20 years in Europe and the US, Prof. Nouidui decided to go back to Africa to give back to the Continent. He moved to Tanzania where he is now working as a Professor at the United African University of Tanzania. Parallel to academia, Prof. Nouidui is the owner of Nouidui Consulting Group. Having lived and worked in three continents, he possesses a good international experience. He can speak French, English, German, Fe’fe, and Kiswahili. He is passionate about Education in Africa and an advocate for the reform of the African Educational System. Prof. Nouidui lives with his wife and children in Kigamboni, Tanzania. In his spare time, he plays Basketball and Scrabble.
Name: Prof. Thierry Stephane Nouidui
Positions: Head of Department @The United African University of Tanzania, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania & Owner of Nouidui Consulting Group
- Doctorate in Engineering with honors (Focus on Building Energy Modelling and Simulation), University of Stuttgart, Germany (2005-2008).
- Master of Science and Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology with honors (Focus on Optical Communication), University of Kiel, Germany (1998-2004).
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Engineers Registration Board (ERB Tanzania)
- International Building Performance Association Germany (IBPSA Germany)
- International Building Performance Association World (IBPSA World)
- United African University of Tanzania (UAUT)
Head of the CoEIT Department, August 2018 to date.
- United African University of Tanzania
Acting Principal of the College of Engineering and Technology (CoET) and Head of the Computer Engineering and Information Technology (CoEIT) Department, February 2019 to November 2019.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, USA
Principal Scientific Research Associate, 2015–2018.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, USA
Senior Scientific Engineering Research Associate, 2011–2015.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, USA
Computational Scientific Postdoctoral Fellow, 2010–2011.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics, Holzkirchen, Germany
Research Scientist, 2008–2010.
- University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
Graduate Student Researcher, 2005–2008.
- University Kiel, Department of Mathematics, Kiel, Germany
Teaching Assistant, 2000–2004.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
IEA EBC Annex 60: New Generation Computing Tools for Building and Community Energy Systems. Michael Wetter and Christoph van Treeck (Editors). ISBN 978-0-692-89748-5, 2017.
- An Empirical Survey on Co-simulation: Promising Standards, Challenges and Research Needs.
Gerald Schweiger; Claudio Goncalves Gomes; Georg Engel; Irene Hafner; Josef-Peter Schoeggl; Thierry S. Nouidui. Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 2019.
- CyDER – an FMI-based co-simulation platform for distributed energy resources.
Thierry S. Nouidui, Jonathan Coignard, Christoph Gehbauer, Michael Wetter, Jhi-Young Joo, Evangelos Vrettos. 2018.
Journal of Building Performance Simulation.
- Co-Simulation: Leveraging the Potential of Urban Energy System SimulationGerald Schweiger, Cláudio Gomes, Irene Hafner, Georg Engel, Thierry S. Nouidui, Niki Popper, Josef Schoeggl. Euro Heat & Power I-II/2018.
- A new paradigm for building energy modeling, simulation and optimization.
Wetter M., Bonvini M., Nouidui T.S.
Energy and Buildings, 117(1), p. 290–300, 2016
- Building Energy Simulation in Real Time through an Open Standard Interface.
Xiufeng Pang, Thierry S. Nouidui, Michael Wetter, Daniel E. Fuller, Anna L. Liao, Philip Haves
Energy and Buildings, 117(1), p. 282–289, 2016
- VirGIL: A co-simulation platform for cyber-physical modeling of distributed resources for distribution system operations.
S. Chatzivasileiadis, M. Bonvini, J. Matanza, R. Yin, T. Nouidui, E. C. Kara, R. Parmar, D. Lorenzetti, M. Wetter, and S. Kiliccote. Proceedings of the IEEE. 104(4), p. 789–806, 2016.
- Angular selective window systems: Assessment of technical potential for energy savings.
Luis L. Fernandes, Eleanor S. Lee, Andrew McNeil, Jacob C Jonsson, Thierry Nouidui, Xiufeng Pang, Sabine Hoffmann
Energy and Buildings, DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.10.010, 188–206, 2014.
- Functional Mock-up Unit for Co-Simulation Import in EnergyPlus.
Nouidui, T. S.; Wetter, M; Zuo, W.
Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 2014, 7(3):192–202, 2014.
LBNL Report Number: LBNL-6487E
- Modelica Buildings library
Wetter, M; Zuo, W.; Nouidui, T. S.; Pang, X.
Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 2014, 7(4):253–270, 2014.
- Neue objektorientierte hygrothermische Modellbibliothek zur Ermittlung des hygrothermischen und hygienischen Komforts in Räumen.
Nouidui, T. S.; Sedlbauer, K.; Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Kießl, K.
Bauphysik 31 (2009), Nr.5, S.271-278, ISSN: 0171-5445, 2009.
CONFERENCES PAPERS AND PROCEEDINGS
- Lifting the Garage Door on Spawn, an Open-Source BEM- Controls Engine. Michael Wetter, Kyle Benne, Antoine Gautier, Thierry S. Nouidui, Agnes Ramle, Amir Roth, Hubertus Tummescheit, Stuart Mentzer, and Christian Winther. 2020 Building Performance Modelling Conference and SimBuild, USA, September 2020.
- Functional Mock-up Interface: An empirical survey identifies research challenges and current barriers.
Schweiger, Gerald, Gomes, Cláudio, Engel, Georg, Hafner, Irene, Schöggl, Josef-Peter, Posch, Alfred, Nouidui, Thierry Stephane. Proceedings of the 1st American Modelica Conference. Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. October 2018.
- SimulatorToFMU: A Python utility to support building simulation interoperability
Thierry S. Nouidui, Michael Wetter. 2018 Building Performance Analysis Conference and Simbuild. Chicago, USA. September 2018.
- CyDER – A Co-Simulation Platform for Grid Analysis and Planning for High Penetration of Distributed Energy Resources.
Jonathan Coignard, Thierry S. Nouidui, Christoph Gehbauer, Michael Wetter, Jhi-Young Joo, Philip Top, Rafael Rivera Soto, Brian Kelley, Emma Stewart. 2018 IEEE PES General Meeting, Portland, OR, USA, 2018.
- Co-simulation – An Empirical Survey: Applications, Recent Developments and Future Challenges.
Gerald Schweiger, Georg Engel, Josef Schoeggl, Irene Hafner, Cláudio Gomes,
Thierry S. Nouidui. MATHMOD 2018, Vienna, Austria, February 2018.
- Prototyping the next generation EnergyPlus simulation engine.
Michael Wetter, Thierry S. Nouidui, David M. Lorenzetti, Edward A. Lee, Amir Roth. Proc. of the 14th IBPSA Conference, p. 403–410. Hyderabad, India, December 2015.
- Modelica Buildings Library 2.0.
Michael Wetter, Marco Bonvini, Thierry S. Nouidui, Wangda Zuo. Proc. of the 14th IBPSA Conference, p. 387–394. Hyderabad, India, December 2015.
- Modeling and Simulating Cyber-Physical Systems using CyPhySim.
Edward A. Lee, Mehrdad Niknami, Thierry S. Nouidui and Michael Wetter.
Proc. of the International Conference on Embedded Software (EMSOFT 2015), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2015.
- Design choices for thermofluid flow components and systems that are exported as Functional Mockup Units.
Michael Wetter, Marcus Fuchs and Thierry Stephane Nouidui.
Proc. of the 11th International Modelica Conference, p. 31–41, Versailles, France, September 2015.
- Demo: CyPhySim – A Cyber-Physical Systems Simulator.
Christopher Brooks, Edward A. Lee, David Lorenzetti, Thierry S. Nouidui and Michael Wetter. 18th International Conference on Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control (HSCC 2015), Seattle, WA, April 2015.
- Linking simulation programs, advanced control and FDD algorithms with a building management system based on the Functional Mock-up Interface and the Building Automation Java architecture standards.
Thierry Stephane Nouidui, Michael Wetter. Proc. of ASHRAE/IBPSA-USA Building Simulation Conference, p. 56–63, Atlanta, GA, September 2014.
- A Modelica package for building-to-electrical grid integration (Best paper Award).
Marco Bonvini, Michael Wetter, Thierry Stephane Nouidui. Proc. of 5th BauSim Conference, p. 6–13, Aachen, Germany, September 2014.
- Tool coupling for the design and operation of building energy and control systems based on the Functional Mock-up Interface standard.
Nouidui, T. S.; Wetter, M. Proc. of the 10th International Modelica Conference, p. 311–320, Lund, Sweden, March 2014.
- Novel Simulation Concepts for Buildings and Community Energy Systems based on the Functional Mock-up Interface Specification.
Edmund Widl, Benoit Benoit Delinchant, Svea Kübler, Wolfgang Müller, Victor Norrefeldt, Thierry Stephane Nouidui, Sebastian Stratbücker, Michael Wetter, Frederic Wurtz, Wangda Zuo. Proc. of the 2014 Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber Physical Energy Systems, Berlin, Germany, 2014.
- Functional Mock-up Unit Import in EnergyPlus for co-simulation.
Thierry Stephane Nouidui, Michael Wetter, and Wangda Zuo. Proc. of the 13th IBPSA Conference, p. 3275–3282, Chambery, France, August 2013.
- Linking interactive Modelica simulations to HTML5 using the Functional Mockup Interface for the LearnHPB platform.
Xiufeng Pang, Raj Dye, Thierry Stephane Nouidui, Michael Wetter, and Joseph J. Deringer. Proc. of the 13th IBPSA Conference, p. 2823–2829, Chambéry, France, August 2013.
- Validation and application of the room model of the Modelica ‘’Buildings’’ library.
Nouidui, T. S.; Phalak, K.; Zuo, W.; Wetter, M. Proc. of the 9th International Modelica Conference, Munich, Germany, September 2012. LBNL Report Number: LBNL-5923E
- Validation of the window model of the Modelica ‘’Buildings’’ library.
Nouidui, T. S.; Wetter, M.; Zuo, W. Proc. of the 5th SimBuild Conference, Madison, WI, USA, August 2012. LBNL Report Number: LBNL-5735E
- BACnet and Analog/Digital Interfaces of the Building Controls Virtual Test Bed.
Nouidui, T. S.; Wetter, M.; Li, Z.; Pang, X.; Bhattacharya, P.; Haves, P. Proc. of the 12th IBPSA Conference, p. 294–301. Sydney, Australia, November 2011. LBNL Report Number: LBNL-5446E
- Modeling of Heat Transfer in Rooms in the Modelica ‘’Buildings’’ library.
Wetter, M.; Zuo, W.; Nouidui, T. S. Proc. of the 12th IBPSA Conference, p. 1096–1103. Sydney, Australia, November 2011.
- Recent developments of the Modelica “Buildings” library for building energy and control systems.
Wetter, M.; Zuo, W.; Nouidui, T. S. Proc. of the 8th International Modelica Conference, Dresden, Germany, March 2011.
- Development of an isothermal 2D zonal air volume model with impulse conservation. Norrefeldt, V.; Nouidui, T. S.; Gruen, G. Proc. of the 10th Rehva World Congress “Sustainable Energy Use in Buildings”, Antalya, Turkey, 2010.
- Erstellung eines isothermen, zonalen Modells mit Impulserhaltung.
Norrefeldt, V.; Nouidui, T. S.; Van Treeck, C.; Gruen, G. Proc. of 3rd BauSIM Conference, Wien, Austria, p.403–408, 2010.
- Application of software tools for moisture protection of buildings in different climate zones. Krus, M.; Nouidui, T. S.; Sedlbauer, K. Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Cold Climate, Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning, Sisimiut, Groenland, Denmark, 2009.
- Object-oriented hygrothermal building physics library as a tool to predict and to ensure a thermal and hygric indoor comfort in building construction by using a Predicted-Mean-Vote (PMV) control ventilation system.
Nouidui, T. S.; Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Holm, A.; Sedlbauer, K. Proc. of the 8th Nordic Symposium on Building Physics in the Nordic Countries 2008, vol.2, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2008.
- Gebäudesimulation mit adaptiven Modellierungsansätzen.
Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Nouidui, T. S. Proc. of the 2nd BAUSIM Conference 2008, Kassel, Germany, p.97–98, 2008.
- Advanced modeling and simulation techniques in MOSILAB: A system development case study.
Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Ernst, T.; Nordwig, A.; Schwarz, P.; Schneider, P.; Vetter, M.; Wittwer, C.; Holm, A.; Nouidui, T. S.; Leopold, J.; Schmidt, G.; Mattes, A. Proc. of the 5th International Modelica Conference, Vienna, Austria, p.63–67, 2006.
- MOSILAB: Ein Modelica-Simulationswerkzeug zur energetischen Gebäude- und Anlagensimulation.
Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Nordwig, A.; Vetter, M.; Wittwer, C.; Nouidui, T. S.; Schneider, P. 16. Symposium Thermische Solarenergie, Kloster Banz, Bad Staffelstein, Regensburg, Germany, 2006.
- Validierung der eindimensionalen hygrothermischen Wandmodelle der Modelica-Bibliothek BuildingPhysicsLibrary.
Nouidui, T. S.; Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Holm, A. Proc. of the 1st BauSIM Conference, “Energieeffizienz von Gebäuden und Behaglichkeit in Räumen”: Erste deutsch-österreichische IBPSA Konferenz, München, p.141–143, Germany, 2006.
- A hygrothermal building model based on the object-oriented modeling language Modelica.
Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Nouidui, T. S.; Holm, A.; Haupt, W. Proc. of the 9th International Conference of the International Building Performance Simulation Association, Montreal, Canada, p.867–873, 2005.
- MOSILAB: Development of a Modelica based generic simulation tool supporting modal structural dynamics.
Ernst, T.; Nordwig, A.; Nytsch-Geusen, C.; Schneider, P.; Schwarz, P.; Vetter, M.; Wittwer, C.; Holm, A.; Nouidui, T. S.; Leopold, J.; Schmidt, G.; Doll, U.; Mattes, A. Proc. of the 4th International Modelica Conference, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg, Germany, p.527–534, 2005.
- Automated Production of Optimization-Based Control Logics for Dynamic Façade Systems, with Experimental Application to Two-Zone External Venetian Blinds. Brian Coffey, Andrew McNeil, Thierry Stephane Nouidui, Eleanor S. Lee. CEC PIER Technical Report, 09/2013.
- Enabling Tools for Design of Energy Efficient Building Systems. Michael Wetter, Xiufeng Pang, Wangda Zuo, Thierry Nouidui, Kaustubh Phalak. CEC PIER Technical Report, 03/2013. CEC-500-2014-055.
SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Spawn of EnergyPlus: To address the limitations of the Department of Energy’s whole building simulation -EnergyPlus (http://www.energyplus.net)- to properly model and simulate controls and HVAC systems so it can be used for the design and operation of low energy buildings, the Spawn of EnergyPlus project was developed.
- Modelica Buildings Library: To support the rapid prototyping of new building energy systems, the modelling of arbitrary heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system topologies, the development, specification, verification and deployment of building controls within a model-based design process and reuse of models during operation for functional testing, for verification of control sequences, for energy-minimizing controls, fault detection and diagnostics, the Buildings Library, a library of building energy and controls systems, was developed.
- Cyber Physical Simulator for Distributed Energy Resources (CyDER): To support the use of simulation for power system planning and operation of the grid, CyDER, a cyber physical simulator for distributed energy resources in smart grids, was developed.
- The Buildings Control Virtual Test Bed (BCVTB): To support the development of new control algorithms, the performance monitoring and assessment of buildings, and the formal verification of control algorithms prior to deployment in a building to reduce commissioning time, the Building Controls Virtual Test Bed was developed.
- Model Predictive Controls (MPC) Framework: To support the application of model predictive controls in buildings to achieve greater energy savings, a model predictive framework for distributed room level MPC was developed.
- EnergyPlusToFMU: To facilitate the use of EnergyPlus in other simulation environments, a facility to export EnergyPlus, a whole building simulation program, as a Functional Mock-up Unit was developed.
- Best Lecturer Award for the 2018-2019 Academic Year, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
- A Modelica package for building-to-electrical grid integration (Best paper award). Marco Bonvini, Michael Wetter, Thierry Stephane Nouidui. Proc. of 5th BauSim Conference, p. 6–13, Aachen, Germany, September 2014.
- Building Simulation for Design and Operation of Low Energy Buildings (Travel award). Presentation at the International Research Workshop as part of the official opening of the Green Tech Center by his royal highness crown prince Frederik of Denmark, Denmark, June 2014.
- Advanced simulations of building energy and control systems with an example of chilled water plant modeling (Travel award). Presentation at the 8th International Forum and Workshop on Combined Heat, Air, Moisture and Pollutant Simulations (CHAMPS 2011) in Nanjing, China, March 2011.
- Development of a Modelica-based Buildings library for hygrothermal simulation (Presentation award). Presentation at Modelon GmbH, Munich, Germany, November 25, 2009.
- JFMI: A Java Wrapper for the Functional Mock-up Interface
- Modelica Buildings Library: Modelica library for building energy and control systems
- EnergyPlus: Functional Mock-up Unit import and Export interfaces in EnergyPlus
- CyPhySim: A Cyber-Physical Systems Simulator
- CYMDISTToFMU: A Python utility to export the distribution simulation program CYMDIST as a Functional Mock-up Unit.
- SimulatorToFMU: A python utility to export Python-driven simulation programs as Functional Mock-up Unit
- EnergyPlusToFMU: Functional Mock-up Unit import and Export interfaces in EnergyPlus